Monday, January 14, 2008

Im Alive and Well

Hello everybody!! I am alive and well in Costa Rica. Sorry it has taken me a while to update you all, I havent been able to use the internet. The keyboard here is a little different so I dont know how to use some things. I wrote up a really long thing all about what I have been doing on my computer, saved it to a jump drive and was going to just put it on here, but my jump drive doesnt work in the cafe, so i have to start all over again.

My family is very sweet and welcoming. My parents are Carla and Walter, they are both 41. Carla is from Peru which is nice because that means that she cooks things other than rice and beans. I have two younger siblings. Olenka is 9 and is very sweet and helps a lot around the house. Renzo is 8 and acts much more babyish than Olenka, he is very needy, but I enjoy playing with him.

I have my own room and bathroom. I live in a very nice house. I think my family is one of the wealthier families around here. My dad works at a bank and my mom works as a social worker at a jail. My mom is always telling me to relax and make myself at home. She calls me her daughter and is very loving.

Our first assignment here was to split up into groups and explore the city. That was a good assignment because now I know the streets and where my bus stops are. I have to ride the bus to get everywhere. I live kind of far away from everything. Today was my first time riding the bus by myself and I made it to the cafe!! How exciting!! Im sure I will get lost at some point, but so far I am doing well.

I am happy and comfortable here. The first few days were hard because I had a lot to learn and it was really hard for me to communicate. It is especially hard when Im tired because it takes a lot of energy for me to talk in Spanish.

I dont know how I am going to pictures on the internet because the USB ports in the cafe dont work and it isnt safe to carry my computer. Ill ask around and see what I can do. I took pictures of my house that I would love to be able to put on here.

I love you all and appreciate your prayers.

Carol

No comments: