Monday, January 21, 2008

Gracias a Dios

Everything is going really really well and Gos is really blessing me. He has given me everything I have asked for.

My Family - He gave me exactly what I asked for in a family. Two younger siblings for me to play with and a very loving mom. My dad is great too, but he works a lot so I don´t get to talk to him that much. My mom has been amazing at trying to make me feel at home.

My Health - I haven´t gotten the least bit sick, everything has been great. It is very normal for me to get carsick and or get headaches really easily, but I haven´t even had one headache. These roads are crazy and people driving on them are even more crazy, so I don´t know why I haven´t gotten sick. Only God can do that.

My Spanish - I have been able to communicate everything that I have needed to. Sometimes it takes a lot of jumping around because I don´t know the word, but I can always get my message across.

My Clothes - My mom washes and IRONS my clothes!!! I have been doing my own laundry since I was 4, this is crazy. I helped her with the laundry, but I have to say this is the first time I´m had my jeans and tshirts ironed.

The Food - My mom is from Peru and cooks really good food, I have liked all of it. We have fresh home made fruit juices with breakfast everymorning and often with dinner as well. It is delicious!!

This weekend a lot of my friends were going to the beach or a fair at a local town, but I decided I would spend it with my family because that is where I am going to learn the most. Next weekend I am going to be with all the other students at beaches in Limon, I figured I could stay with them this weekend.
Saturday we went to a birthday party of my mom´s coworker. They lived up in the mountains, it was such a beautiful drive. Along the way there are all these little bitty houses with things for sale outside for everyone driving by, that is the way these ¨mountian people¨ make their money. There were baskets, flowers, fruits and veggies, atisan things. It was neat. Most of the people grow there own food and raise animals to eat and are pretty self sufficient. The family that we visited had so many beautiful flowers, plants, trees and animals. They had dogs, pig, ducks, chickens, roosters, orange trees, lemon trees, banana trees, grew their own rice and beans. It was really neat to go see the way they live and be able to celebrate a birthday with them. The only problem was that the latino way for celebrating parties is to give all the guests way way too much food. I was eating constantly, I think I ate more than I ever have in my life. It was all delicious, but too much.

Sunday morning my mom and I went out for about a hour long walk-jog. We walked the first part and ran back. It was good to get some exercise after eating so much on Saturday. Then we came back to the house and ate breakfast with the rest of the family. Around 10 or so we left for Cartago to go sight seeing. It was amazing!! My family showed me this beautiful old catholic church in los Angelos, it is aparently really well known. Then we drove to a park where there was the remaining parts of a church build in the 1600s i think. It was really neat. The park was in the middle of the mountains and had a beautiful river flowing through it. After that we went and saw a giant dam, it was clearly the biggest one I have ever seen. The bridge we were on was probably about 200 feet above the river. After that we continued to drive around and see some other beautiful sights. San jose is in the middle of the mountains, so everytime we drive out of the city we drove through the mountain sides. I took a lot of wonderful pictures and hope to be able to put them online soon. I think Wednesday morning I should have some time.

Another very exciting thing is that my real mom, Lani and Becca are going to be a ble to visit!! Yah!! How exciting is that? I am going to have two weekends with them and be able to take them to do all kinds of cool things!!

Thanks for all your prayers, they are helping, things are wonderful!!

No comments: